Monday, October 20, 2008

The love of the world flowing through her to you


Sunny this morning, warming up, early yet, only a few others out.
Tomorrow is Sunday, Mother’s Day.
Out of the corner of my eye I saw a woman running to catch up with her young son.
He was sitting in a toy car. When she started jogging, he drove his little car beside her.
The little car had chrome wheels, glinting in the sunlight.

My mom used to walk with us to the store when we were that age.
We liked the little wax soda bottles with sweet water, green and red and yellow.
You would break off the top and let the sweet run over your tongue.
And the paper straws with colored sugar.
And caramels with sweet centers.

Last Sunday I went out for coffee with my daughter.
We talked about life, and her challenges, her joys, her sorrows.
She had a cookies and cream frappuccino with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles.
I had coffee. Decaf.

However you remember your mom,
taking you somewhere,
some delightful outing
or epic journey
with your little toys
or on a quest for treats;
and when you think of your own young ones,
looking ahead bravely to whatever they will face
because they have you right there,
it is the love of the world flowing through her to you,
flowing through you to them.

For my mother
May 10, 2008

1 comment:

  1. Nice Poem and nice Blog, Rob. If I was retired and just goofing off all day, my blog would look great too!
    Congratulations and have fun.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete